Mrs. Spears’ 3rd Grade Language Arts & Social Studies Syllabus 2020-2021
My mission is to educate students to be able to think for themselves, to work together with others, to be compassionate and helpful, to set goals for themselves, and to have the persistence to be able to attain them.
Oklahoma Academic Standards for Language Arts
Reading and Writing Process
Critical Reading and Writing
Oklahoma Academic Standards for Social Studies
1. Listen and follow instructions.
2. Be prepared.
3. Be respectful of others and property.
4. Be responsible for you.
Discipline Plan: (weekly)
First offense - Verbal warning - move green chip
Second offense - Parent contact - move yellow chip
Third offense - Principal's office - move red chip
Some important information about my class:
- I have high expectations for my students, and I expect them to do their best.
- It is important for the student, parent, and teacher to work together to have a successful school year.
- My planning time is from 2:00 to 2:30 each day. This is the best time to contact me or to return your call.
- The first bell rings at 8:05 and the tardy bell rings at 8:10. School dismisses at 3:20. (3 tardies = 1 absence)
- Attendance is important, valuable instructional time and class discussion are missed when absent.
- Missing assignments can be picked up upon return to school, so I can give instructions for the assignments.
- Missing assignments results in zeros and will bring the student's grade down quickly.
- Homework is due the following day or 10 points will be deducted for each day it is late.
- Papers turned in with no name will have 5 points deducted or will have to be redone.
- Read your student's handbook on attendance, grades, cell phone, and the no gum policies.
- I do not give extra credit work.
- We don't waste time in my classroom.
- I use the Remind app to contact parents, it is the easiest and quickest way to contact me.
- I appreciate you and your support.
No mechanical pencils or personal pencil sharpeners are allowed in my classroom.
All 3rd graders are required to bring their binders to my class each day. It will contain graded work, homework, and parent notes. Go through your child's papers every night, so you are familiar with what is going on with your child in class, in school, and academically. You can also check your child's grades online also, see the office for information.
All 3rd graders will have spelling homework every night, Monday through Thursday, and required to complete it. Students need to cut out words and work with them every night and due on Fridays. I will check Spelling homework on Fridays and will give a 9-week spelling homework grade. I don't accept late spelling homework, only if absent on Friday.
Reading comprehension and grammar are very important, so we will be reinforcing those skills throughout the year. Please help your child by having them read 30 minutes every night.
I am always available for any questions or concerns. You can contact me through the Remind app, email me at email@example.com, or you can call the office at 918-489-5638 to leave a message. I will respond as soon as I can.